Tuesday, 20 March 2007

Eat your veggies - #32

We buy our veggies from Lorenz and Hildegard Schuster.

They live in our village and you'll find them on the market in Mainz on Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

They only sell what they grow, so if you want papayas, pineapples and coconuts, you'll have to look elsewhere.

(Until global warming turns the Rhine valley into a tropical paradise, of course...)

So eat your carrots. It'll help you see better in the dark

And if you believe that, I'll have to enlighten you - it's one of the better urban legends.

What actually happened is that the Brits had developed airborne interception radar in the early days of world war 2 and needed to disquise the real reason for their nightfighters' increased success rates. So the disinformation machine got cranked up and pictures were taken of gallant fighter aces merrily chomping away on carrots.
And everyone believed it
There you just do go...

7 comments:

Kate said...

I like the point-of-view of the photo, as though you are the seller. Interesting info on carrots, also.

jb said...

Hadn't looked it like that. I'll have to try it...

Victoria said...

I love farmer's markets. So much better than buying from an anonymous supermarket.

And interesting information on an old urban legend. That is something I never actually knew!

isabella said...

I could not read your urban legend - I guess I haven't eaten enough carrots to see small print ;-)

Mandy said...

sprouts carrots and new potatos

yum yum

they look good enough to eat

... of course they do, silly me!

Nathalie said...

Oh I love markets, even winter ones like this one. I love carrots too.

Now for that urban legend, isn't it true nevertheless that carrots are rich in vitamin A which is good for your skin and eyes ?

jb said...

Right on the button, young Nathalie

β-carotene, a dimer of Vitamin A, is abundant in the carrot and gives this vegetable its characteristic orange color. Furthermore, carrots are rich in dietary fiber, antioxidants, and minerals.

So - all in all - better for you than a Big Mac

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails